Starting with QGIS
This 3-days course will teach you the most used functionalities of a mapping software using QGIS. You will learn how to create, import, manipulate and map vectors (shapefiles) and matrix (raster) spatial data. You will also learn digitizing and georeferencing images.
Spatial data manipulation
We will teach you common spatial data manipulation tools for shapefiles and rasters:
- Creation of spatial layers
- Projection of spatial layers into different coordinate reference systems
- Spatial joints or attributes joints
- Layer intersections
- Polygons merge
- Buffer area around spatial features
- Rasters combinations and calculations
- Digitial Elevation models features (slope, hillshade, …)
GIS software useful functionalities
You will learn the functionalities, for which GIS software are especially designed and ones allowing for better user experience.
- Image georeferencing
- Image digitizing
- Advanced feature symbology
- Web interaction
- Map edition for printing
To go further
To do some data analyses on your maps or to automatize your map production tasks, you may be interested in using the R-software. Take a look at my other courses on mapping with R.