Migrated to Hugo !
I finally made it ! Migration of my website from Wordpress to Hugo. Thanks to the great work of yihui with blogdown !
Migration itself is not so complicated thanks to some good scripts and recommandantions, but I wanted to get back my “Twentyfifteen wordpress” theme with a multilanguage ability. This took a little more time, but my theme has a first release version.
A twenty-fifteen like theme
I used the nice hugo-icarus-theme from digitalcraftsman as a basis and moved different things. I also added a few things to have a blog along with the freelance presentation. Feel free to fork it or propose your pull requests. The theme has the following functionnalities:
- Multilingual ready. Different words of the theme (tags, categories, words count, …) may be translated in any language thanks to
lang.tomlfiles. A flag with a dropdown menu allows to switch from a language to the other if articles and pages are translated.
- A sticky article template. For a specific taxonomy or page list, the sticky template shows one article completely and the others as a list. Look at my freelance page to see an example.
- Syntax highlighting is used with
highlight.js. As copied from yihui’s hugo lithium theme, version can be modified and languages to be highlighted is customizable in
config.toml. Same for mathjax.
- A ready-to-use multilingual contact formular page with formspree.io.
- Widgets in the sidebar of the original hugo-icarus-theme: last articles, category list, tags list, tags cloud.
- The last article list may have a user defined thumbnail picture, not just an automatic one as created from the article banner.
During my Hugo theme seach, I forked two themes to make them multilingual, with words translated and language switcher. You can use their
multilingual branch on my github:
- hugo-future-imperfect: A pull request is on its way to integrate the multilingual modifications into the original repository. You can contribute to it. You can see the results on marionlouveaux.free.fr.
- hugo-icarus-theme: I also proposed a pull request.
If you want to see how to transform your hugo theme into a multilingual theme, you can have a look at these two pull requests. You can also contact me.